Apply at: https://goo.gl/r5Ywvp
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Accounting Manager will lead all day-to-day accounting/finance operations for the Zoo and supervise a team. This position will be responsible for overseeing the annual financial audit, the annual budgeting process, and ensuring a timely and accurate monthly accounting close. Additionally, the Accounting Manager will ensure proper internal controls are in place and followed, restricted accounts are properly utilized, and financial reports are prepared and distributed appropriately. All cash and revenue processing throughout the Zoo will be under the Accounting Manager’s review.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the activities of the accounting department to ensure the accurate and timely dissemination of financial reports including the monthly and annual financial statements.
- Analyze financial and operational data and clearly communicate results monthly, quarterly, and annually while monitoring progress and changes, identifying, explaining, or correcting variances as appropriate.
- Collaborate with all departments to produce annual operating budget for CFO’s presentation to the Board of Directors and distribute budgets to Senior Management as required.
- Development and maintain internal controls and safeguards for cash, revenue and expenditures while ensuring the integrity of all systems, processes and data.
- Ensure the Centaman POS system and reporting is optimized for ease of use in Accounting, and accurately reflects financial and attendance data.
- Ensure that Zoo revenues and expenses are properly stated.
- Ensure adequate information is available to file IRS form 990 and oversee the process of tax preparation with our outside accounting firm.
- Prepare cash flow projections on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain fixed asset system and properly record depreciation of Zoo fixed assets and the disposal of assets as needed.
- Perform monthly balance sheet reconciliations as needed.
- Oversee annual financial audit and act as liaison to independent audit firm to ensure audit process runs smoothly.
- Establish regular reporting for costs, expenses and funding sources associated with all capital projects, from large multi-million dollar animal exhibits and buildings to small capital expenditure allocations. Monitor spending against budget, notifying the CFO of any potential cost overruns.
- Ensure new accounting standards are properly implemented, and attend professional development on an annual basis to understand any new accounting guidance and literature.
- Monitor and report activity in JBZ restricted accounts to include monthly balances, receipts and disbursements from each restricted account. Set up restricted accounts in accordance with donor specifications. Provide donor schedules of accounts as requested. Work with the Advancement Department to ensure proper maintenance of donor records and restrictions.
- Facilitate the receipt, sale, cash transfer and the accounting of donor stock gifts
- Advanced knowledge of accounting software; solid Excel skills.
- A self-starter who is able to work independently and with a team
- Non-profit accounting including familiarity of form 990 preparation and management of restricted funds.
- Ability to develop and train staff in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals; provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization, and create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to John Ball Zoo mission.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Solid experience in managing accounting activities including accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, and payroll and financial statement preparation.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which allow for strategic data interpretation.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or related field with 7+ years’ experience. CPA or advance degree preferred.