Be part of the adventure! John Ball Zoo welcomes over 500,000 visitors a year where guests can learn and experience what it means to be active participants in the conservation of wildlife and our natural environment. We are hiring passionate and driven individuals to join the mission and help provide a memorable experience for our guests.
What we are looking for: Food Service Lead
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Enforce standards for food preparation and service, including food quality, standardized recipes and portion size, with emphasis on appeal, flavor, efficient preparation, customer service and sanitary conditions.
Oversee opening and closing of food service buildings.
- Oversee the preparation of food service as well as stocking and inventory.
- Ensure implementation of sanitation and safety procedures and compliance with the Kent County Health Department in all phases of the food service operation.
- Enforce procedures for properly receiving, storing, and distributing food and supplies.
- Report all pertinent information to management in a timely manner.
- Responsible for helping and participating with initial training of new employees as well as continuous training and coaching of current employees throughout the season.
- Perform any other duties requested by management that are in the best interest of the zoo.
Responsible for the oversight of employees.
- Ability to communicate with employees, co-workers, supervisors and vendors in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to provide a positive and customer-centered focus to your position at all times.
- Must pass various background checks as well as drug test.
- Must be available March 3rd -December 2nd.
Required SPECIALIZED Knowledge and/or Skills
- Knowledge of food service practices and procedures.
- Prior cash handling experience.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must be able to speak, read, and write English fluently.
- Must be able to tolerate exposure to dust, dirt, pollen and other airborne contaminants.
- Must be proficient with basic computer software including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and be able to adapt well to various other computer programs.
- Proficient with basic math skills for cash handling purposes.
- Ability to make sound judgments in the absence of management.
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to remain active for an entire shift, walk, climb stairs, stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear.
- The employee is often required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work irregular hours including evenings, weekends
- Must have sufficient mobility with or without assistive devices to access all areas of outdoor and indoor attractions at the Zoo.
- Must be able to work in somewhat close proximity to exotic and domestic animals and tolerate exposure to animal dander, animal wastes and other zoonotic contaminants as well as dust, dirt, pollen and other airborne contaminants and occasional exposure to inclement weather, high humidity, and to extreme hot and cold temperatures.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.