Title: Equitable Sustainability Program Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Pay Scale: Salaried/Exempt - $40,000 to $44,000 commensurate with experience
West Michigan Sustainable Business Forum is a regional collaboration of local businesses,
government, academia, and non-profits working together to promote sustainable business
practices within their organizations and the community. WMSBF recognizes the potential
for our core themes of sustainable development, climate resiliency, circular economy and
social responsibility to positively impact racial and economic inequities in West Michigan,
while also promoting a greater level of civic engagement and community involvement
among our stakeholders, and making sustainable business more accessible to all
WMSBF offers a benefits package and a flexible work environment.
The West Michigan Equitable Sustainability Program will better position the sustainability
field to positively impact disadvantaged communities and meet unmet needs aligned with
the existing strengths of the organization and new social equity goals. The program is
intended to Make Sustainable Business Relevant and Accessible to All Audiences, Improve
Diversity of Sustainable Business, and Promote a Justice-Centered Model for Sustainable
Business that would prioritize environmental justice, climate vulnerability, food systems,
wellness, employee stewardship and civic engagement.
● Manage the growth and implementation of the Equitable Sustainability Program.
● Work with a diverse community of businesses, institutions, industry partners and
community stakeholders to promote a mutually beneficial flow of knowledge,
expertise and resources.
● Support the Western Michigan Food Recovery Council, West Michigan Climate
Adaptation Council, and Corporate Social Responsibility Roundtable.
● Develop expertise and be recognized as a regional expert in common sustainability
issues and priority issues of climate change, food waste, and social equity.
● Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders from diverse commu nities.
● Write project reports and other materials for internal and external audiences.
● Work with communications staff to promote and publicize programs in multiple
● Make public presentations on sustainability topics to professional and community
● Conduct trainings with local professionals in collaboration with subject experts.
● Facilitate meetings and working groups as required.
● Work to ensure the continued sustainability of WMSBF and its programs.
● Support fund development efforts as required to ensure continued health of
● Proven ability to work with community partners and stakeholders, ideally in West
Michigan, preferably with diverse audiences.
● At least two (2) years experience leading outreach and/or education programs,
preferably in a sustainable business, employee engagement, or community
● Bachelor’s degree required.
● Spanish language skills are preferred but not required.
● Able to travel throughout West Michigan for events and meetings.
● Able to work occasional evenings and early mornings for scheduled events.
● Experience working collaboratively with staff, team members, and partners.
● Experience growing and developing programs in a fiscally sustainable manner.
● Excellent communication and writing skills, including public speaking.
● Ability to work with virtual and/or remote team members.
● Strong organizational skills.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google office products.
● Background in diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives a plus.
● Background in climate change, food systems or recycling a plus.
Directions to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume and references to
email@example.com with the subject heading “Equitable Sustainability Manager.”
Candidates encouraged to apply by February 22. The position will remain open until filled.
West Michigan Sustainable Business Forum prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type
and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law. West Michigan Sustainable Business Forum conforms to the
spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.